Social Media Marketing (SMM) is a new buzz word today and marketers are following it like anything. You get tones of traffic and potential customers from this social media. Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest and many more avenues are creating NEXT-Generation-Value in Big Data Value Chain.
Here I am taking you through – how to get followers on twitter?
I had 143 twitter followers in December 2014. Recently I took a challenge to grow my twitter
followers count relevant twitter followers count on twitter. It was really difficult and was eating my time like anything. And I had to do it :-). So I thought of automating some of the steps in order to make my tasks easy. I followed the fundamentals and today I have more than 10,000+ (check the latest count here) super relevant and engaged twitter followers.
Engagement is the key. There is no other effective way to grow your social influence.
Out of 5 most important points in growing your social media network, the most important one is Consistency in posting niche topic posts. Though it is easy to get excited and post few tweets but maintaining consistency was a gigantic task as human nature is too volatile to be disciplined. Thanks to technology for making things easier for us.
To answer the question how to get more twitter followers, I needed to answer the following questions things:
1. What to post on twitter? – Niche Content on the topic of my choice
2. How to create content for twitter and social media – Curation/Processing Content for your audience
2. How to schedule posts on twitter ? – Ability to post them with a defined frequency and time.
3. How to Engage audience on twitter?
Initially I tried to create content (twitter posts) at my own and trust me, there is no alternative to your own content when it comes to effectiveness. But over a period of time, it became a tedious task for me. Maintaining consistency was the key. So I thought of automating it because nothing can be more consistent than machine.
1. Content – You need content from a specific niche topic and that you can get from internet. Search with a hashtag and you’ll get hundreds of tweets and other stuffs to be posted on your social network. You can use IFTTT + Google Spreadsheet combinations to put internet at work for you and get the filtered content from internet. Everyday I get 2000+ tweets of relevant keywords in an spreadsheet which is easy to curate using Automatic Tweets Curator Tool. You just need to put the raw content in this tool, define some conditions to make it more personalized and add some links to bring visitors to your site and that’s it. This tool will automatically curate the content to the best standard of twitter and let you publish it. You can also customize the curation like changing the prefix words and character length of the tweets as per your wish.
2. Ability to post with a defined frequency – You will have to devise the way by which you can achieve your two goals of posting.
1. Consistency in posting
2. Posting at the time when most of your audiences are using twitter.
In order to achieve these two goals, you should get one of many scheduling tools that let you post when you wish and schedule in advance. I use HootSuite and Buffer to achieve these goals. In HootSuite, I schedule more than 100 tweets that get posted at 10 different times of the day when my users are most active.
3. Engagement – Response and Questions
A. Go to twitter account. You need to use twitter login and then, #hashtag search to see who all are tweeting based on your interest. Once you see the content based on your interest, involve people in talks by questioning, appreciating and following them. Through questions, you’ll be able to get their attention and force them to answer. That’ll give you the chance speak to them and in return you get tones of twitter followers and higher engagement rate.
B. Go to mention of your twitter account: I found twitter native mention function very effective to filter out whom to respond. Here you can all the people who have engaged you in the conversation and you can easily respond to them. That’s the best way to engage.
C. Participate in #twitterchats. I get excited to learn from the veterans of Social Media Marketing Industry. So do I follow #bufferchat every Wednesday and share thoughts on the topics going on. I love interacting with folks in buffer team.
D. Building Great Lists: When you’ve more twitter followers and you follow more people, it would be difficult to read their timelines. In that, you can build your own list of twitter influencers whom you love to engage with. Here is my list of folks that I love to engage with.
Once you start performing these activities, your twitter account becomes active and twitter algorithm will push it to others’ “People to Follow” list. Thus, chances of getting followed increases.
Few more things to take care of:
Your twitter followers or other twitter friends will Favorite, Re-tweet and Respond to your tweets. You must check your account regularly and engage them. They are your influencer who are indirectly promoting you to their follower list.
In my next post, I’ll share the tool that will let you do everything mentioned above with a click and will take 30 min at max to manage more than 10000 twitter followers. Stay tuned.
Over to you on How to get more twitter followers?
I hope these insights holds some insights or ideas for you as you build out your own strategies. I’d love to expand on anything here—and hear from you on any thoughts that come up.
What are you working on this month on social media? Do any stats or strategies stand out here for you?
It’d be amazing to hear your thoughts in the comments.